Monday, June 04, 2007

Respect for mother


One morning, during the usual conversations the topic turned on Bhagavan's mother coming away to live with him and on her manner of life, and Bhagavan spoke to us as follows:

"Mother began coming here frequently and staying with me for long periods. You know I always address even beasts and birds in a respectful manner. In the same way, I used to address Mother also with the respectful form of speech. It then occurred to me that I was doing something hurtful. So I gave up the practice and began addressing her in the familiar way. If a practice is natural and has become habitual you feel uncomfortable at changing it. But anyway what do these bodily things matter?"


He spoke with deep feeling and my eyes filled with tears.

(From Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, Letter 14, dated 12 Dec 1945, by Suri Nagamma)

No comments: